Skip to main content

Dublin Marathon 2019 Report - That's Mad Ted

When asked very recently for my thoughts on the best and the worst bits of my first ever marathon experience I blurted out, almost without thinking 

 The Best:
Crossing the finish line and being totally surprised at my time.
The amazing support from spectators and DBR folk.

The Worst:
Running past my daughters and their partners "the most glamourous  (and noisiest) of supporters, on their way to a wedding"   I was so focused I just didn't see them.
Then with the Finish line firmly in sight, the 26 mile marker came into view and it nearly floored me altogether.  I still had .2 of a mile to go.
In fairness it was a great first marathon but then I had taken my training and diet seriously.  Early on in the training my GP pointed out a low Iron count and prescribed over the counter Iron supplements and red meat at least 3 times a week. Thus began a regular diet of "shteak and spuds", and sure if it's good enough for the O'Donovan Brothers....
Pauline also kept me supplied with her homemade Kimchi, Sauerkraut and Beetroot juice to ensure over all wellness.

Race Day arrived and I stuck to my tried and tested breakfast of porridge and an oatmeal flapjack. Now was not the time to experiment with anything knew.

Collected Emma and we set off in the taxi to Flyfit Gym in Baggot Street for prebooked lockers and their toilets of course. Along the way to town was a sea of DCM beanies. Yes, today was the day alright.

Met up a gang of DBR Runners in the gym. Also met two of the original 13 runners to have completed all 40 Dublin Marathons and that was really inspiring and a little bit comforting. 

Then off for a warm up run and met more DBR runners in the crowd. Fantastic weather, fantastic vibe, colourful throngs of runners soaking up the pre start atmosphere. Banter in the porta loo queue for the very last, absolutely final visit before the off.  The excitement was building. 

Our corral was advanced to the start line, surplus clothes being discarded and flying overhead. One supporter at the side line letting us know we were welcome to a large tub of Vaseline, she wasn't bringing it home again.
 
Then we were off, the spectators cheering us on with extraordinary energy. I got caught up in the excitement and took off way too fast too soon. Yes, I admit I had warned about it.

Through The Phoenix Park in all its Autumn glory, the craic from the sidelines was mighty, Great signs and slogans. Then got a shout out from Cathy and Sarah, so great to see familiar faces from the DBR family, then they popped up again in Rialto, kept me going til Harolds Cross and the long, long drag to the top. 

The streets were pulsing with excitement but still strangely familiar nevertheless from previous events and the Long Sunday morning 20 mile practice runs. Having trudged those streets on less glamarous times was invaluable on the big day. Good Man Dave Bradshaw, you know what you're about!
To be honest there are parts of the course where I have no memory of it all. Maybe that's when I was regretting going off too fast too soon.
 This may have coincided when I was having those arguments, purely in MY head only, with Dave Bradshaw  -  that's it, I'm never doing a Marathon again! Its not for me, just never. Get away from Dave, it's never going to happen. Then I copped myself on, refocused, as I knew the very best coach ever and his family would be cheering me on around the next bend. Happy face on and pace restored, I was so delighted to see him and Jess and their girls. Such a boost to morale, broad smile for his camera and carry on with the fun of it all.

Confident that all the Long Sunday Runs, the Thursday Tempo sessions, easy runs, relaxed runs, Time on Feet, shared experiences good and bad, solo runs,  mental strength developed over 23 weeks of training, would stand to me, I ploughed on and on and on. I had read that a Marathon is hundreds of miles, it's just the finish is 26.2 miles, how true.

And on to Break Heart Hill, Roebuck Road at mile 22 where friends flashing a sign "That's Mad, Ted" and neighbours were waiting to cheer me on. Round the corner and sped on down the hill at Fosters Avenue and shot past my family members frantically cheering and waving signs "All toenails go to Heaven" , "Go Dad Go". Unfortunately I took them too literally!
Mile 23 getting on to familiar territory just up the ramp to UCD and forecasted plain sailing to the finish. Spirit was good but pace slowing. Had to remind myself you can do it, keep your form, rhythm running, keep going, rhythm running, grind it out, maintain form, you're feeling good, you can do this, you've trained well, you have the TOF in the legs. Mile 24 Nutley and on to The Merrion Road and I passed another runner having the same conversation with himself!

On to Northumberland Road, keep it going, don't get distracted by collapsed runner wrapped in tin foil on the footpath. 

Finish in view, keep pumping, you've got this. Ah hell,  wasn't expecting the 26 mile marker, momentarily disheartened, but that means Finish .2 miles closer.  Blue mat under foot, positive sign, getting closer, keep it going, spectators cheering on were muffled, focussed on the finish, gantry ahead crossed the bump on the carpet. Hit the stop button on Garmin. OMG 3:27! Totally blown away.
Thanks again Dave, best coach I've ever had, (yes, yes, only coach I've ever had).

Thanks to the support from the Long Sunday Group, the DBR running family, the friendships made, fellow runners, we all helped each other, way ahead of the official Marathon programme. Amazing bunch thank you one and all.
Finally thanks to all family and friends for unwavering support. John O'Rourke, physotherapist in Mount Merrion Physio using accupuncture and ultrasound kept all niggles at bay in the final few weeks.

Special thanks to my two four legged cross-trainers Robin & Caesar who ensured that I stayed agile even on my rest days, it all paid off on the day. Woof woof.

Mental balance restored, signed up for DCM 2020. Looking forward to the Long Sunday Runs already.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valencia Marathon Week 8/12

October 30th - November 5th Monday - 5 miles ez (8k) back up to Bohernabreena reservoir for some more peace and quiet. Tuesday - 9 miles ez (15k) I enjoyed the run but was made aware of a slight niggle to my right calf. This was most likely caused by wearing my vaporfly shoes for last week's long run. For me it confirms these are only to be used for 5 and 10k races going forward. This run brought October to a close and although I've felt pretty meh throughout, the volume of work is there, 224 miles (360k) the total. Wednesday - 10 miles (16k) with 5*1 mile (1.6k) at half marathon effort off a 2 minute jog recovery. First session since Valencia half marathon, ten days ago. There was a little bit of dread leading up to this, my confidence needed a strong session. Wore the Mizuno rebellion pro to help with my calf niggle and they did the job just fine. They've now covered 300 miles (500k) and they still feel nice and bouncy, however they do stink and are becoming quite squeaky

Valencia Marathon Week 3/12

Plan for this week is to increase my mileage from 50 miles (80k) to 54 miles (86k). I'll do this by reducing the weekly intensity, dropping Friday's session in favour of 100 meter strides sprinkled throughout. Monday 9 miles (14.5K) easy, glorious weather to start the week. Tuesday 9 miles (14.5k) easy, listening to the Inside Running Podcast, highly recommend. Three Australian marathon runners of sub 2:20 standard, they discuss their training, running news, answer some listeners questions and plenty more. Wednesday 7 miles (11k), back to Marlay Park for my 5 miles (8k) at 160 heart rate. No such issues getting my heart rate into the correct zone. Only my third week doing this session and it felt very controlled and comfortable, covering the route in 36:17. I've mentioned previously that the goal of this workout is parallel lines between heart rate and power/pace. I use power rather than pace due to the undulating nature of the course. Looking at the picture below and you c

Valencia Marathon - 12 Weeks to go!

Last year's Valencia Marathon resulted in a small personal best. I ran 3 hours 18 minutes and 31 seconds, it was my first time to ever run a negative split (second half faster than the first half) and my eleventh attempt at the distance. I'm definitely a slow learner! It was very satisfying and not once did I experience any weak spots throughout the 42k. Needless to say, I was thrilled, however I left this wonderful city thinking, what if.... What if this wasn't my third marathon in eight weeks, what if I concentrated on a good diet (eat more), what if I did some strength/core work? So here we are, twelve weeks out and my motivation is sky high. I want to run another personal best, feel strong and have a smile crossing the finish line, it doesn't sound like much, but to an experienced runner, we know what's involved! Time, commitment, patience, effort, recovery, support, to name a few. I've made some rough sketches that are starting to form a plan. Some of which