Skip to main content

Dublin City Marathon 2019 - Loreto's Journey

DCM Marathon Report 2019
I signed up to do the 2019 Dublin City Marathon in November 2018 after only starting to learn how to run mid January 2018. I know - just a bit mad! 
It was suggested by a few friends that it would be a great thing to do especially after seeing how some other DBR members enjoyed their first one!

I did put it to the back of my mind for many months and continued on as normal running/ training 3 /4 times a week and doing a few races in between! 

Suddenly May was upon us and reality struck as the marathon training was to start! I had decided at this stage that I was going to give it the best shot I could and train as well as possible. I was still not convinced that I would actually be able to do it! One of my main concerns was how the summer would pan out. 
The summer training was a bit tricky some weeks as children were off but I found ways around it when they were in one or two camps, babysitter occasionally and Andrew around for long run Sundays! I went to Kerry for a few days end of July and ran a number of times there to my mother’s surprise. I think she thought I’d lost the plot getting up early and going out running! I couldn’t yet break the news to her that I was contemplating a marathon! 

I did a lot of runs on my own and missed the company so I looked forward to the long runs when I could meet the others for a chat and laugh and the time passed faster as a result. 

August was tricky too as family holiday time in France. With Dave’s help switched around a few runs and managed to run there 3 or 4 times each week. I was reluctant to take a big break from running on holidays as didn’t want to miss out on the runs or risk loosing any fitness. I figured if I was able to fit it in I would. 

I was lucky as it wasn’t too hot in the mornings and the area was nice and flat with lots of cycle paths and safe roads to run on. I enjoyed getting up a bit earlier and heading out to explore the countryside. It was very peaceful and relaxing. My sleepy heads family were usually only waking up by the time I got back!

Made it through the summer managing to keep up reasonable amount of training and feeling good and more confident week on week that I might actually make it to marathon day! 

September- children back to school so back to routine. Mileage increasing week by week and managing to keep up the runs and still enjoying the training. Dublin City Half marathon to look forward to and see how I would get on with that. Great number of DBR doing it too so fantastic support on the day. 

Really enjoyed the Half and felt strong. Very happy with how it all went. More optimistic now that I would be able to run the marathon!

Finally broke the news to my mum that I was doing it! She was supportive but understandably worried too. I’m sure she spent lots of time on the phone to my siblings questioning my sanity!

October

Getting nearer now but I had 2 of my most difficult long runs. 

For the first one (solo 20 miles), I was feeling sorry for myself as I had been out in heels for hours the night before at Andrews leaving event and so my legs were tired before I even started. I was also exhausted as I only had 5 hours sleep having gone to bed at 1:30.

Thankfully I had arranged to meet Jane for the last five miles of my run as she had her 5 miles to do so that was a huge help to me and got me to the end of the 20 miles. A true friend! 

The second tough long run was with 2 weeks to go- 16 miles in terrible wet conditions. Soaked to my skin within minutes and I was so cold when I got home I could hardly open the door! Got through it somehow and to be honest was probably good to have a run in those conditions as you can’t predict what the weather will be like on marathon day. 

I was delighted once I’d made it through these 2 difficult runs and now the marathon was really in my sights.

Taper time at last…..
I enjoyed the reduced mileage! I worried though about every little ache and pain that appeared. Worried that something would happen and I wouldn’t make it to the day itself now that it was so near. Total paranoia or maranoia!!

I was feeling good overall and strong. I felt my training had gone really well- better than I expected -even the long runs I enjoyed the majority of them!

The few days before Marathon day I was all over the place- completely distracted. Feeling stressed and tired, trying to get to bed earlier but not sleeping great. At least I was resting even if I wasn’t sleeping. Drank lots of water especially in the immediate last few days. Ate more than normal and had more carbohydrates than usual in the day or two before it. Figured this should help to sustain me to get me through it. 

Marathon Day
We couldn’t have asked for a more perfect day - sun was shining, crisp and cool Autumn Day , no wind! Beautiful. 

Felt like we had to walk for miles before we actually got into the baggage area etc as all the streets were closed off and some sort of one way system in place. A bit stressful!  
It was chaotic in town, so many people but such a great atmosphere charged with nervous tension in the air but also excitement building. 

Made our way to the start line with a number of bathroom stops along the way just to be sure. Then we were off!

From the moment I took off I was amazed by the crowds everywhere all along the route cheering us on!  Soaking up the atmosphere, taking it easy and watching where I was going for the first few miles which were very busy and then  really getting into the run.

The Phoenix park was glorious. I was looking forward to seeing Andrew and the children in Chapelizod so that kept me going the first few miles.However they were so busy looking at the camera and tracking me on the phone that only for I spotted them in their colourful hoodies they would have missed me! I got a great kick out of running up to them and seeing their faces! A quick kiss and a hug to all 3 and off I went again! 

From there until perhaps half way I felt was the hardest part for me. A few more hills and unfamiliar territory! But got through the half way mark and was on my way home then! Knew there would be lots of supporters and familiar faces from Terenure on. At this stage I think I was a bit high and nearly like a crazy woman waving at people I didn’t know and smiling at everyone!! 
Delighted to see Dave and big hi to him on Fortfield Road and then turned the corner to see my family and this time they were ready for me! Saw loads of familiar faces , DBR friends all throughout the next few miles and was flying along, buzzing, waving all around me!! Was going too fast so had to slow down a bit as was worried if I kept going at that pace I wouldn’t make it! 

On up through Rathgar and Milltown with more friends and DBR supporters. Really lifting me along. Turned onto Clonskea and got myself prepared for Roebuck. At this stage I came upon the 4:30 pacers balloons so decided to stay near them going up past UCD onto Roebuck. The nearer we got to Roebuck the more water stations, lucozade stations appeared. Availed of all those refreshments. Still following the balloons!! Onto "Heartbreak Hill"- crowds roaring, noisy clappers, amazing atmosphere- more DBR to cheer us on - Collette ran some way up with me. Reached the top and waved goodbye to Collette and the 4:30 balloons and headed for home!! 

Feeling a bit tired and a little emotional at this stage so gathererd my thoughts and relaxed the body as best I could continuing down the dual carriageway. Crossed over and turned onto Nutley. Past Vincent’s and said a little prayer to my Dad who had died there a number of years ago. 

Turned onto Merrion road. Nearly there but not quite!! Feeling relatively ok but tired. Running steadily enough. Northumberland Road and spotted my family again and just about held it together as I passed them. A big lift and had the end in sight now. Huge crowds cheering and I felt on top of the world running and waving like a crazy woman again. Spotted finishing line but still took a while to get there as it seemed to be moving!! Finally crossed the line , slowed down and continued walking in an unsteady daze! Couldn’t believe it- I’d actually done it! So thrilled but a bit spaced out. Kept walking. Medal around my neck. I was a Marathon Runner!
Andrew and children somehow managed to get in to the area and Aisling spotted me as I was collecting my bag. Such an emotional reunion. I was so thrilled to see them. I was feeling better at this stage after some water and nut bar so not as spaced out! 

Headed off to Buswells then, after a quick change of clothes , to meet the rest of the DBR runners. It was brilliant to see them there and more arriving all the time. Everyone on a high and thrilled it was over and we’d completed it in one piece! 

Couldn’t figure out what I wanted to eat and knew I should but just couldn’t face it. Enjoyed half a Guinness. I was pretty tired by the time I left and was feeling a bit shook I think at that stage probably from lack of any proper food. Happy to get home and had a lovely soak in a hot bath, some food and felt better then. 

Revived and ready to go again. Off to the Bottle Tower and that was lovely to catch up with some more DBR crew there. A lovely way to finish off the day. 

To finish up:

My marathon journey started off as an idea, encouraged to sign up by others, not really believing I could do it but giving it a go. Seeing myself improve over the winter months and get stronger week on week. All the time enjoying pretty much all my runs. 

 The more long runs and more weeks I ticked off the more the idea began to become a realistic possibility that I could actually do this. 

Having amazing running buddies who kept me going too and made the tough longer runs easier and more enjoyable. Meeting new running friends even up to a few weeks before the Marathon and sharing some great runs with them too. We were able to moan away and push each other along and banish any doubts or fears as soon as they appeared. We had lots of laughs along the way!

From the beginning I felt that to give myself the best chance of succeeding I had to follow instructions as I was pretty much a beginner runner so I didn’t really have a clue! 

None of this would have happened without the support,inspiration and guidance of our incredible coach- Dave Bradshaw. He bit his tongue and smiled when the crazy idea was first suggested and then got on with the tough task of coaching us raw beginners all the way through to the finish line.

I enjoyed “Tempo Thursdays" and going round and round the mile loop like a hamster on a wheel- was a great way to tick off the miles. One day I was so distracted in my running bubble I missed a mile and had to retrace my steps in my head and I realised I’d actually done it! ( if this makes sense!) 

I was very lucky in that I was able to manage to fit the runs in around my life or juggle things around to fit them in so this was a big help to me. My family were extremely supportive too especially for long run Sunday’s. 

The training schedule was tough and demanding especially from a time commitment and even more so when we increased to 5 days a week. I was also very lucky in that I remained injury free throughout.

It had a big physical toll on your body. Despite being hungry all the time, eating well and more than usual ,still lost some weight in the last few weeks so would need to ensure you’re eating enough of the right foods! 

Very tired especially in the evenings so important to get to bed earlier if possible.

My aim for the day was to run as well as I could, enjoy and soak up the fantastic atmosphere that everyone who had done the marathon before talked about and finish the race. I did not want to fall at the last hurdle and not be able to finish. I didn’t put pressure on myself to run for a specific time- if I made it in under 5 hours that would be brilliant and perhaps stretching it to 445 an added bonus. But these were fluid thoughts and would depend on a lot of factors on the day itself. 

Do I have any regrets? 

Absolutely none! 
Such an amazing experience out there on marathon day running along through the city, Phoenix Park and the suburbs with the crowds of supporters and volunteers lining the route! The powerful feeling coming up the home straight and crossing that line was one to remember forever! 

Would I do it again? 

The jury is still out

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Valencia Marathon Week 8/12

October 30th - November 5th Monday - 5 miles ez (8k) back up to Bohernabreena reservoir for some more peace and quiet. Tuesday - 9 miles ez (15k) I enjoyed the run but was made aware of a slight niggle to my right calf. This was most likely caused by wearing my vaporfly shoes for last week's long run. For me it confirms these are only to be used for 5 and 10k races going forward. This run brought October to a close and although I've felt pretty meh throughout, the volume of work is there, 224 miles (360k) the total. Wednesday - 10 miles (16k) with 5*1 mile (1.6k) at half marathon effort off a 2 minute jog recovery. First session since Valencia half marathon, ten days ago. There was a little bit of dread leading up to this, my confidence needed a strong session. Wore the Mizuno rebellion pro to help with my calf niggle and they did the job just fine. They've now covered 300 miles (500k) and they still feel nice and bouncy, however they do stink and are becoming quite squeaky

Valencia Marathon Week 3/12

Plan for this week is to increase my mileage from 50 miles (80k) to 54 miles (86k). I'll do this by reducing the weekly intensity, dropping Friday's session in favour of 100 meter strides sprinkled throughout. Monday 9 miles (14.5K) easy, glorious weather to start the week. Tuesday 9 miles (14.5k) easy, listening to the Inside Running Podcast, highly recommend. Three Australian marathon runners of sub 2:20 standard, they discuss their training, running news, answer some listeners questions and plenty more. Wednesday 7 miles (11k), back to Marlay Park for my 5 miles (8k) at 160 heart rate. No such issues getting my heart rate into the correct zone. Only my third week doing this session and it felt very controlled and comfortable, covering the route in 36:17. I've mentioned previously that the goal of this workout is parallel lines between heart rate and power/pace. I use power rather than pace due to the undulating nature of the course. Looking at the picture below and you c

Valencia Marathon - 12 Weeks to go!

Last year's Valencia Marathon resulted in a small personal best. I ran 3 hours 18 minutes and 31 seconds, it was my first time to ever run a negative split (second half faster than the first half) and my eleventh attempt at the distance. I'm definitely a slow learner! It was very satisfying and not once did I experience any weak spots throughout the 42k. Needless to say, I was thrilled, however I left this wonderful city thinking, what if.... What if this wasn't my third marathon in eight weeks, what if I concentrated on a good diet (eat more), what if I did some strength/core work? So here we are, twelve weeks out and my motivation is sky high. I want to run another personal best, feel strong and have a smile crossing the finish line, it doesn't sound like much, but to an experienced runner, we know what's involved! Time, commitment, patience, effort, recovery, support, to name a few. I've made some rough sketches that are starting to form a plan. Some of which