Skip to main content

Dublin City Marathon 2019 - Jen's Journey

DCM Run Report 2019 JOB


A couple of years ago one of my best friends joined a running group, and loved it. I watched with a bit of envy as once upon a time I liked going for a run. In fact in 2009 I even did a marathon. But that memory seemed very far away as I sat at home nursing my third baby. I saw Jane getting fitter and stronger, doing her first Park Run, watched it become her regular Saturday morning habit. It encouraged me to get out for an odd run and the very odd Park Run. Her love of running grew as she took on bigger challenges. In September 2018 she did the Dublin Half Marathon, and I had joined a gym and was getting some healthy me-time back into my routine. I’m guessing she was buoyed up with the emotion of that half marathon, and excited to see some of her running club training for the marathon, but she came up with a nutty plan to take on DCM 2019, and the craziest part …. Would I like to do it with her?!


That question really made me think. Of course I would. Who wouldn’t want to be cheered on by the crowds that support the marathon? Who wouldn’t want that feeling of elation crossing the finish line? But, was I able? Mentally, physically, and from a time point of view – did I have the capabilities to take on this massive challenge? Who knew? But once the germ of that idea was in my head, I couldn’t shake it. By now I’d decided to take some time out of the working world and stay at home with my three young sons. The 40th Dublin City Marathon was four weeks before my 40th birthday. After a few weeks with these thoughts swirling around I signed up. I felt I had something to prove, to no-one other than myself. That at 40 years of age, with a five, three and nearly two-year old I could still do something that most of the world would never accomplish – run a marathon.

Jane was busy training with Dave Bradshaw Running, but I just couldn’t commit to anything with a structured time table. My husband is a busy man and works late on various evenings and with the kids at home I couldn’t make any regular sessions. But I was happy enough training on my own and following an on-line plan. But the October Bank Holiday weekend seemed so far away. So if it was a rainy morning, or if I’d been up during the night with the kids I’d easily skip a planned run, telling myself I’d make it up later. During the summer I was chatting to Jane while she was away on a family holiday in the sun and she was telling me that Dave had been on her case, asking her when she was going to fit in a long run. I put down the phone to her, and picked it up to contact Dave. I knew I needed this sort of prodding if I was going to make this dream a reality. 

Joining the DBR stable was the best thing I did. Still not able to make his group sessions we agreed a sort of distance learning set up. He’d give me a weekly plan, I’d do it, and join his crew for the long runs on a Sunday morning. Indeed straight away I felt part of that crew, he’s so easily contactable and approachable. But don’t expect anything sugar-coated, he’s there to do a job: get you safely to the start-line. The thing is, he’s very good at that job.


Training in the summer was fun. I enjoyed getting up early and heading out before the house woke up. We holidayed in West Cork, and I loved heading out every second morning for a few miles and seeing new places while taking in the beautiful coastal views. At the time I was looking forward to September when the boys would start Junior Infants and Preschool respectively. I’d even signed up the youngest for a few hours in the crèche with the intention of more running time. But heading out in the dark mornings and bad weather wasn’t as much fun. The group long runs were always good though. Sharing the war stories, as well as the chats helped tick them all off. We took in some lovely routes. But I picked up a bit of a niggle in my calves and spent most of this new found free time at physio or chiropractor appointments. Thankfully though, I made it to the start line.

The week leading up to the big day was filled with anxiety. It was as if I was expecting another baby – the marathon was all I could think about, all I could talk about, I couldn’t plan beyond race day. Thankfully there was others to share these constant thoughts with. We had completed our training, heads were filled with positive thoughts and on our last long run a few of us had wanted to see ‘Heartbreak Hill’ one more time. We had taken it in, and the bridge at the flyover of UCD and knew we had it in us … .easily as I thought in fact! 

Race day dawned and before I knew it we were passing through the start line. We had our plan, and we stuck to it. But of course it was going to feel different to a training run, the support in Dublin is incredible and it does will you on. And it’s so wonderful seeing family and friends in the crowd encouraging you with all their hearts. But it’s so tough going. I don’t know if I took on too much water at all the stops, or if it was butterflies in my tummy, but I could feel all the liquid swirling with all those gels (which we had well practised with!) and didn’t feel the better for it. I had been looking forward to the last 8 miles, as this was a route we had frequently run and I felt I knew well. Though on race day it turned out Roebuck wasn’t as easy as I remembered from training!! Dave’s words of ‘respect the distance’ were suddenly making sense. No one ever said running a marathon would be easy. 


The best part of the whole marathon experience for me was being able to run with Jane the whole way around. As we struggled together in those last miles we counted our blessings and thought of those who supported us to this point So many people cheered us on, but one stranger I’ll always remember was a Garda who said ‘Girls, you should be so proud of yourselves’. Her kind words helped us run those last two miles. Coming down the home straight we spotted Jane’s husband and family, and then my husband – we could not believe the finish line was just ahead. We did it, and we’d done it together! Mission accomplished! Filled with emotion as the volunteers hung the medals around our necks, all the hard work, all the pain, all the lonely runs, all the time-management, the logistics, the childminding arrangements, the ice baths were worth it all! Forty year old Jen, with her gaggle of babies had a medal around her neck proving that she wasn’t past it, and could still hit new goals if she put her mind to it. 

It’s been nearly week now since the big day, and I haven’t fully come down from the cloud I was floating on that evening. Am I happy with my decision to run it? 100%. Would I do it again? One day, but not next year. I think I’ll stick to ten milers and half marathons for a while. And when I find them easy peasy will contemplate another marathon. 

The training is hard going, and a huge commitment. As you can imagine with three small boys ‘rest days’ were just a day off running. It was hard on my body, but great for my mind. Great to have a space that was just mine. DCM 2019 will forever be a treasured memory, and I’m so glad I got to experience it all with Dave, all my new DBR friends and most especially Jane.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valencia Marathon Week 8/12

October 30th - November 5th Monday - 5 miles ez (8k) back up to Bohernabreena reservoir for some more peace and quiet. Tuesday - 9 miles ez (15k) I enjoyed the run but was made aware of a slight niggle to my right calf. This was most likely caused by wearing my vaporfly shoes for last week's long run. For me it confirms these are only to be used for 5 and 10k races going forward. This run brought October to a close and although I've felt pretty meh throughout, the volume of work is there, 224 miles (360k) the total. Wednesday - 10 miles (16k) with 5*1 mile (1.6k) at half marathon effort off a 2 minute jog recovery. First session since Valencia half marathon, ten days ago. There was a little bit of dread leading up to this, my confidence needed a strong session. Wore the Mizuno rebellion pro to help with my calf niggle and they did the job just fine. They've now covered 300 miles (500k) and they still feel nice and bouncy, however they do stink and are becoming quite squeaky

Valencia Marathon Week 3/12

Plan for this week is to increase my mileage from 50 miles (80k) to 54 miles (86k). I'll do this by reducing the weekly intensity, dropping Friday's session in favour of 100 meter strides sprinkled throughout. Monday 9 miles (14.5K) easy, glorious weather to start the week. Tuesday 9 miles (14.5k) easy, listening to the Inside Running Podcast, highly recommend. Three Australian marathon runners of sub 2:20 standard, they discuss their training, running news, answer some listeners questions and plenty more. Wednesday 7 miles (11k), back to Marlay Park for my 5 miles (8k) at 160 heart rate. No such issues getting my heart rate into the correct zone. Only my third week doing this session and it felt very controlled and comfortable, covering the route in 36:17. I've mentioned previously that the goal of this workout is parallel lines between heart rate and power/pace. I use power rather than pace due to the undulating nature of the course. Looking at the picture below and you c

Valencia Marathon - 12 Weeks to go!

Last year's Valencia Marathon resulted in a small personal best. I ran 3 hours 18 minutes and 31 seconds, it was my first time to ever run a negative split (second half faster than the first half) and my eleventh attempt at the distance. I'm definitely a slow learner! It was very satisfying and not once did I experience any weak spots throughout the 42k. Needless to say, I was thrilled, however I left this wonderful city thinking, what if.... What if this wasn't my third marathon in eight weeks, what if I concentrated on a good diet (eat more), what if I did some strength/core work? So here we are, twelve weeks out and my motivation is sky high. I want to run another personal best, feel strong and have a smile crossing the finish line, it doesn't sound like much, but to an experienced runner, we know what's involved! Time, commitment, patience, effort, recovery, support, to name a few. I've made some rough sketches that are starting to form a plan. Some of which