Skip to main content

Dublin Marathon 2019 Emma - It's always more fun with friends!

My Marathon Experience:

I always dabbled in “running” whether it was running around the hockey pitches during my school lunch breaks, running around the numerous neighbourhoods I lived in during my years in London or signing up for a number of Connemara half-marathons.  But, there was never a training plan, a long term goal or commitment and invariably my enthusiasm would wane for one reason or another and that would be it for another few months or even years at some points!

When the boys arrived we always enjoyed going out as a family to support DCM but I honestly never imagined I would have the confidence or capability to ever run it myself.

Then, in April 2018, a family member was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease.  For me memory loss is the most terrifying prospect and as such I started to read up on the disease to determine whether there was anything I could be doing now to reduce the risk of developing it in the future.  Countless studies are being carried out and while there is still no cure, many studies have suggested that dietary and lifestyle factors may influence risk, raising the possibility that preventive strategies may be effective.  These factors include physical activity particularly vigorous aerobic exercise, a healthy diet (Mediterranean), sleep and keeping your brain active through lifelong learning.  I had most of these boxes ticked but enough sleep continues to be a challenge which I have to admit is not always the fault of the kids!

So that was it for me; armed with a true motivation and an incentive to get back into running; I had signed up for the 2018 Dublin City Marathon within a week!  My training plan (courtesy of google) however was in hindsight very basic!  It consisted of two short runs and one increasingly longer run every week.  It did serve me well in terms of keeping me focused on a long term goal, improving my fitness and ultimately completing the 2018 marathon but that said, I did run into (pardon the pun!) problems.  I developed a knee injury just 3 months into the training.  From the July onwards, as the mileage increased, my knee began to cause me pain; something I had never experienced before.  Actually I had never had an injury before!  Despite taking plenty of days off, the dull ache in my knee cap didn’t abate, if anything, the pain progressed and intensified over the weeks to my lower leg.  The “rest” and “dry needling therapy” only provided short term relief and with marathon day fast approaching I really wasn’t sure if I would even make it to the start line.  So I decided the only sure(ish) way of getting through the marathon was to have dry needling done two days before D-day.  Thankfully for me this short term fix worked and I ended up completing the marathon in 4 hours 22 mins.  Of course the sense of achievement was massive but if I’m honest I was worried about whether my knee injury would rear its head post marathon and if it did what would that mean to my new found love of running?  Would I have to find an alternative form of cardio training ?

As I suspected my knee post marathon actually got worse instead of better and I ended up having to abandon runs after 2 to 3 miles!  This was the first time I ever had to stop a session mid-run but I had no choice.  Frustrated doesn’t begin to describe how I felt this time last year.  By Christmas 2018, my running was very hit and miss!  I just couldn’t ignore the knee issue any longer so I looked into low-impact cardio workouts.  Low-impact doesn’t need to be low-intensity so after a little research, I decided “spinning” classes fit the bill!  Indoor cycling takes the pressure off your joints but still taxes your cardiovascular system so this seemed like a good alternative.  While the classes were on the money in terms of a cardio workout; it just wasn’t for me!

What did I miss about running?  So much! The fresh air, the way running makes me feel, I missed the convenience of running; being able to throw on my runners when a 40 minute window would somehow reveal itself on a Saturday afternoon and my husband would say “off you go”!  I missed where a run would take me; new routes, old routes, memories, scenery and of course the random discoveries along the way! 

Then out of the blue, in February 2019, my friend Carmel texted me to say that her running group (Dave Bradshaw Running) were starting a new term if I was interested in joining.  To be honest I was somewhat reluctant.  I have always been a solo runner relishing the quiet time running gives me!  So it’s fair to say I was a little unsure whether sociable running would be something I would enjoy from a mental perspective.  From a physical perspective I really didn’t think I was capable of chatting whilst running.  That said, I could immediately identify so many positives that joining a group would provide and to top it off, Dave Bradshaw is a running coach so I knew he could possibly shed light on why I had become injured so quickly into my marathon prep last summer.  In addition, I was pretty sure the group approach would help with the motivation required to train during the winter months.  So I made up my mind to step (or run!!) out of my comfort zone, bite the bullet and contact Dave about joining DBR! 

I met Dave and the group on a Monday morning last February and after a 40 minute session Dave immediately pinpointed why I had been suffering from recurring knee issues!  He said it was because I hadn’t varied my training sessions!  Such a simple observation but oh my god how right he was!  This may be hard to believe but I had run at the same pace (circa 8:43 minutes/mile) on every single training session and to compound matters I pretty much ran the exact same route every time!  To top off the ridiculous, would you believe I had never heard of an “easy run”!  Running is a such a repetitive action where you’re working in a single, horizontal plane so if you fail, like I did, to vary the sessions, the smaller muscles get weak and imbalances become injuries in waiting.  Hence, my “runners knee”.  From the day I joined DBR to today, some 9 months later; which included training for the 2019 Dublin City Marathon, my knee has not given me one ounce of trouble!!  What a result!  And that is just the start!
Roll onto the summer and training for the 2019 DCM.  My schedule could not have been more completely different to the previous year.  Sessions included easy runs, long runs, tempo runs, fartlek and recovery runs which not only as mentioned earlier prevent injuries but for me were hugely enjoyable and rewarding as every run and often every mile within a “run” included a particular focus or goal which meant runs were over before I knew it.  Another result!  Couple this with all the benefits (the learning, the tips on technique, the social, the motivation, the accountability, the safety etc etc) running as part of a group brings and my initial reservations are simply blown out of the water!

The summer passed in the blink of an eye with schedules sent out on Mondays.  Runs were increased to 5 days per week and getting up at an ungodly hour to fit the run into an already jam packed day was becoming a regular occurrence.  Then came the summer holidays and Strava became a far more interesting place with everyone in the group busy documenting their efforts across Ireland, Europe and beyond.  It was so motivating to see how others squeezed their runs into the family holiday and our boys ended up not batting an eyelid as I went out most mornings to get it done!  The camaraderie grew as we began to venture outside Marlay Park and its environs as long runs became longer and longer!  And as for the whatsapp exchanges and Starva uploads; they went into complete overdrive!  The end of the summer was punctuated with the 2019 KBC Race Series.

Race day arrived and I really felt so fortunate to have made it to the start line injury free.  I tried not to lose focus on why I was doing this; to ensure I was and would continue to be as fit and healthy as possible.  So in reality my goal was already realised.  However of course; I felt some nerves because now that I had gotten to this point, I wanted to do as well as I could!  I felt very confident in my training.  I had really tried to stick to Dave’s plan and had run more in the months leading up the marathon than ever before.  So I knew trying to break the 4 hours was a realistic goal. 

I discussed this with Dave and his guidance was invaluable.  He reminded me to enjoy the race and with that in mind helped me to formulate a strategy whereby I would stay behind the 4 hour pacers (wave 3) for about 16/17 miles.  In doing so, I would (all going well) be taking it easy enough in the first half to ensure I felt strong and energised for the second.  The plan, suggested by Dave was for me to try pass the 4 hour pacers at mile 18 (Rathgar).  I found it hugely calming and reassuring to head into the day with a strategy and race plan.  I got up at 6am and got myself ready as if it was another long run.  I learnt over the months that not eating breakfast suits me best so I stuck steadfast to my pre- long run routine. 

Ted (my neighbour and DBR running buddy) and I shared a taxi into town at 7am.  We were in town by 7:20am and met up by arrangement with fellow DBR friends outside a gym on Baggot street.  Meeting in the gym meant that the DBR gang were pretty much all together (obviously starting at different times depending on what waves we were in).  Myself and Deirdre had lockers next to each other and although we weren’t in the same wave we walked to the start line together.  It was lovely to have company at that point in the day.  We wished each other luck and went our separate ways.  Once in wave 3, I clocked my 4 hour pacer and positioned myself 100 metres behind him as planned.  Then we waited and waited...and waited!  I had gone to the toilet just before leaving the gym and didn’t need to go again but as wave 3 were ushered into the area recently vacated by wave 2, I noticed a free toilet and decided at the very last minute to use it.  This was such a good last minute decision as it took my mind off whether taking water along the course would take its toll so to speak!  I then shed some clothes; took my first gel as planned and was as all set.
Within 5 minutes we were finally off.  I started my Garmin at exactly the time we crossed the start line so that my watch would be as accurate as possible.  I was absolutely determined not to get caught up in the initial buzz and inevitable speed that often takes hold during those very first miles.  It was actually surprisingly hard to hold back and I averaged 8:53 minutes/mile for mile 1 when in actual fact I should at that stage have been slower (circa 9 minute mark).  I found those first miles more crowded than last year and it was hard to find space to relax and settle.  It was really only just after the 4 mile mark at Chesterfield avenue in the Phoenix Park that we finally had some space to settle.  It was at that point that I overheard a voice I recognised as a pacer from previous races (Olwin) reminding everyone to take advantage of the space, to roll their shoulders, breathe deeply and relax.  I carried out everything she said and felt the better for it!  I then realised if I was to stick to my plan I should be taking my second gel at this stage (30 minutes into race).  Despite the fact that I had tolerated the high 5 gels on all the long runs leading up the race, I was still quite nervous that they may not agree with me on the actual day.  I had also planned to take an ibuprofen at 10am as I had Laryngitis during the week and wanted to ensure I had the pain under control.  Again I was hoping the ibuprofen wouldn’t cause my tummy upset.  Looking back now, between closely monitoring my pace, staying fixed on the 4 hour pacer still ahead of me, taking sips of water at the various stations and debating the best time to take a gel etc I was mentally very busy and so the miles passed by with me barely noticing.  Looking back now, this conversation/debate with myself about pace, gels, water etc was pretty much a constant from start to finish!

The band and crowds were in full swing as we entered Castleknock and the atmosphere was electric.  Then as we came to the 7 mile mark, it became incredibly congested at the sharp left turn onto college road, and before I knew it I had unintentionally passed the 4 hour pacer.  This of course was not my plan and I initially felt worried that I was going too fast.  However I abandoned that thought quickly and decided to keep firmly focused on maintaining a very steady pace up until the 16/17 mile mark.  As I settled, I began to really take note of the wonderful weather conditions we had been blessed with and as we tuned back into the park at mile 8 which runs onto the upper Glen Road of the Phoenix Park I marvelled at the magical experience that suddenly took hold.   It was the silence that struck me.  There were no supporters at that point in the race so not a word was uttered.  The only sound to be heard was the soft beat as thousands of rubber soled runners gently hit the ground.  And in the silence was a massive feeling of solidarity.  I know others felt it too. 
Then it passed and we were out onto the busy roads of Chapelizard.  I knew there were two hills approaching at miles 11 and 14 so I stayed focused and took heart knowing the route so well.  I kept a steady pace for miles 9 and 10 at 8:39min/mile and awaited the first hill at mile 11.  I only dropped to 9:11 minute/mile and took my mind off it by distracting myself with working out what time I might reach the half way mark at.  I held onto the 8:49 minutes for mile 12 and 13 and managed to complete the half marathon point in 1 hour 57 minutes.  I was delighted with how well I was feeling at that point and did start to notice people beginning to struggle somewhat.  I took another gel after mile 13 and availed of some water at every station.  The Crumlin / Drimnagh road is a long slog but I knew this having run it only 2 weeks previous as part of a DBR long run so again familiarity and time on legs was literally standing to me.  Once I turned the corner onto Cromwellsfort road west in Kimmage (mile 15) I knew on was on my way home and psychologically something must have changed within me as I got faster from that point in the race onwards (with the exception of the hill at mile 22).  Before I knew it I spotted coach Dave and his family at mile 17 and from then on I really felt I was on the homeward stretch.  I could not believe how good I felt so decided to trust my body, the months of training and the plan and go with it.  Of course it is much  easier to put your faith into “feeling good” when you know you are three quarters of the way home!

I spotted friends in Rathgar which buoyed me up and from mile 18 to 21 I held onto 8.44-8:48 minute miles despite some hills.  I was now really enjoying the strength I was feeling and I suddenly found myself easily passing out fellow runners.  The Clonskeagh road wasn’t the slog I had found it last year and again this memory and realisation energised me.  Roebuck Road leading to mile 23 on Fosters avenue is home for me so heartbreak hill it is not!  Between the number of supports, the familiar faces, the DBR gang , the friends and then my family; my husband and the boys at the top of Fosters Avenue; I was on a complete high!  It was just magic to see the three little faces as they held onto gels, flappers and “go Mama” signs!  I held onto that picture right to the finish line!  I seemed to be quickening pace now but I didn’t care; I felt so strong.  I let the downhill of Fosters Avenue spur me homeward but the congestion at certain points began to get somewhat annoying.  Down Nutley avenue at 8:29 minutes/mile and then onto the homestretch of Merrion row at 8:15 mins/mile; Northumberland Road at 7:45mins/mile and Mount Street lower at 7:10mins/mile - I had done it…I was over the line….the target of sub 4 well and truly realised with a finish of 3 hours 51 seconds.
I was stunned and thrilled! I rang home and then soaked up the atmosphere around Merrion square.  All the training and hard work had paid off!  I had really done it.  I went back to the gym ; caught up with all the DBR gang and headed with them to Buswells for some well-earned drinks and chats!  The training continued to stand to me in the days post marathon as I wasn’t sore at all.  I did however get a wave of utter exhaustion from the Wednesday onwards and to be honest this is only beginning to ease off now; two weeks later.  Thanks to an amazingly supportive group, to my family who always encouraged me to get the runs done and of course to Coach Dave for his directness, expertise, guidance and insights; I achieved my goal.  The most important piece of advice he gave me was to enjoy the race and I can hand on heart say I really did! Thank you Dave!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valencia Marathon Week 8/12

October 30th - November 5th Monday - 5 miles ez (8k) back up to Bohernabreena reservoir for some more peace and quiet. Tuesday - 9 miles ez (15k) I enjoyed the run but was made aware of a slight niggle to my right calf. This was most likely caused by wearing my vaporfly shoes for last week's long run. For me it confirms these are only to be used for 5 and 10k races going forward. This run brought October to a close and although I've felt pretty meh throughout, the volume of work is there, 224 miles (360k) the total. Wednesday - 10 miles (16k) with 5*1 mile (1.6k) at half marathon effort off a 2 minute jog recovery. First session since Valencia half marathon, ten days ago. There was a little bit of dread leading up to this, my confidence needed a strong session. Wore the Mizuno rebellion pro to help with my calf niggle and they did the job just fine. They've now covered 300 miles (500k) and they still feel nice and bouncy, however they do stink and are becoming quite squeaky

Valencia Marathon Week 3/12

Plan for this week is to increase my mileage from 50 miles (80k) to 54 miles (86k). I'll do this by reducing the weekly intensity, dropping Friday's session in favour of 100 meter strides sprinkled throughout. Monday 9 miles (14.5K) easy, glorious weather to start the week. Tuesday 9 miles (14.5k) easy, listening to the Inside Running Podcast, highly recommend. Three Australian marathon runners of sub 2:20 standard, they discuss their training, running news, answer some listeners questions and plenty more. Wednesday 7 miles (11k), back to Marlay Park for my 5 miles (8k) at 160 heart rate. No such issues getting my heart rate into the correct zone. Only my third week doing this session and it felt very controlled and comfortable, covering the route in 36:17. I've mentioned previously that the goal of this workout is parallel lines between heart rate and power/pace. I use power rather than pace due to the undulating nature of the course. Looking at the picture below and you c

Valencia Marathon - 12 Weeks to go!

Last year's Valencia Marathon resulted in a small personal best. I ran 3 hours 18 minutes and 31 seconds, it was my first time to ever run a negative split (second half faster than the first half) and my eleventh attempt at the distance. I'm definitely a slow learner! It was very satisfying and not once did I experience any weak spots throughout the 42k. Needless to say, I was thrilled, however I left this wonderful city thinking, what if.... What if this wasn't my third marathon in eight weeks, what if I concentrated on a good diet (eat more), what if I did some strength/core work? So here we are, twelve weeks out and my motivation is sky high. I want to run another personal best, feel strong and have a smile crossing the finish line, it doesn't sound like much, but to an experienced runner, we know what's involved! Time, commitment, patience, effort, recovery, support, to name a few. I've made some rough sketches that are starting to form a plan. Some of which