Skip to main content

Caroline's DCM 2019 - All Roads Lead To Rome/Dublin

Marathon 2019
Ok so here we go...shooting straight from the hip so let's get to it. Last year at DCM 2018 Jane and I stood in awe of every runner in Terenure and said "We have to do it".  As your mother would have always told you " If someone put their finger in the fire would you too?" ...well I'm not one for taking solid advice and of course once Jane signed up, sure I had to do it! Then a few more joined in and before we knew it there was a gang in the furnace.
Training started in July and despite having cartilage problems with my left knee and being advised by Dave that it may not be a wise move, I embarked on a marathon training plan. The first couple of weeks were fine as I trained with some of the other club members as they were setting their sights on their half marathon in September. With my injury I had to fully tune into what my knee could handle and learned quickly it certainly did not like any speed at all or uphill incline..it was then that I introduced some walking. A Lot of runners out there dismiss and snub the notion of walking and running ...it is almost like the cardinal sin to stop and take a breath. "What's the rush?". "Vomit and keep going" seemed to be the general natural running mantra. But alas not for me! It's taken me a long time to accept my running style and to adjust my format of running within the parameters of what my body allows me comfortably to do. Feeling like I'm going to throw up or burst a blood vessel is not for me and it never was in any type of sport. I took up running four years ago and only realising now sport is an essential ingredient of life, providing camaraderie, vigour and friendships along the way. Every doctor in this country should prescribe a pair of runners to their patients. Marathon training while long and arduous is very tough and that is the bottom line. When I realised what worked and accepted what I could do within my limits it became a little easier. 
Jane had broken her foot and was back running in March, her determination and pure grit to succeed catapulted me to also do the best I could.
Long runs were the hardest and time consuming when you're working and have family commitments. l broke way too many rules on the plan, compared many other plans, researched various thoughts, techniques, beginners programmes but hey that is me as a learner, I like to explore all perspectives.
Confessions!
I split up one of my long run over two days, finding research online to justify it and believe you me there is theories that supports it. I had a partner in crime who's name will remain anonymous! One day I ran home to have my lunch as I was starving and had to drop my daughter to ballet in between the 20 mile run, while my method unorthodox it still remains family comes first and on this occasion I finished that run with a dip in the 40ft it was absolutely fabulous...far superior than Biofreeze!

On one of my last longer runs of 18 miles I caused panic at home as my husband Seamus thought I had got lost as I was out longer than expected. Truth was Jane and Loreto waved goodbye to me at Mile 10 that morning, I had another 8 miles to do so I had stopped off in Terenure church to light candles for all us marathoners to get through the big day and yes sat and caught my breath in my sweaty gear for a couple of minutes before completing the last few miles home, perhaps I was praying for divine inspiration! Yes the lady in Tesco Rathfarnham got to know me during my long runs as I came in for a lucozade mid run and sat on the wall outside to build up the strength to go again and complete the run. Yes I know every 80's song possible and could be a Karaoke Queen after this training.
Yes at times my body was letting me down as was my mind..Am I strong enough? Dedicated enough? Fast enough?Fit enough? Who am I kidding? What was I thinking?.... The mind and body plays mean questioning and doubting games with you towards the end of the training.
Taper Week
Getting to the big day the week before was hairy, I had a cortisone injection into my knee five days beforehand and all I wanted to do was sleep and I mean hibernate away and so I did. The pre-race nerves were worse than the night before the sitting The Leaving Certificate English Paper 1. I had studied every inch of the route on a map but hadn't ran much of it.

The Big Day
My neighbour texted me early that morning with wonderful words..."Imagine it's your wedding day..it is gone in a flash, enjoy it!" 
The camaraderie and support of Vicky Jane and Loreto was phenomenal and all the other athletes..the banter on whatsapp, wardrobe dilemmas, gel and water discussion, phantom pains and overall hysteria over one day! 

We all started together and got to the Phoenix Park...it was then when the panic set in. I looked around and thought if I ran away now no one would notice. I started off too fast for me and stricken with pressure looked around and imagined running off to find a bush and a phone to call a taxi. Problem was I was phoneless and cashless and unless the deer had a mobile phone I was screwed. I stopped and let the others go... I breathed and let the 5 hour balloon go by and decided like a child in a playground never to lose sight of it until I was ready. That's when my marathon began...groups of runners tiptoeing through the park...nothing but nature.. deer autumnal glow and the sound of feet in unison ...it was truly beautiful...all the way through then meandering streets of Dublin and then as far as Crumlin.  A good friend was there with a banana for me and yes I walked and ate as I knew I would be hungry. I knew from training I just couldn't sustain a long run past 13 miles without food of some form. While gels keep the muscles going there is no fullness in them. Walking past Crumlin Childrens Hospital, banana and water in tow I was grateful to be alive and cast my thoughts to the children inside who may never get to feel the pure exhilaration of a run and those thoughts got me to Terenure . I knew once I got to Terenure I was home. All my family friends and wonderful coach were there and dotted further were amazing supporters up towards Roebuck and onwards. The final countdown was immense and I crossed the finish line feeling fresh and amazed at myself. I had no idea of time as I had turned off my Garmin in the Phoenix Park. Another great choice as I was tired of continuous incessant checking of pace, distance, heart rate. I had also turned off my music this was a first for me as I have never ran without it. I knew my body at this stage so well I trusted myself to get through it and enjoy it. 

Finishing with a smile was my ultimate goal and that was achieved. Before the line I saw a girl in front of me called Linda, (name on her tshirt!l) she was severely struggling, I said "I hope you're not going to ruin my finishing pic with you walking behind me".. she was in bits but laughed and I said "Come on let's get a fab photo!" We ran for it. Unaware of my time and in flying form my body felt amazing and inside I felt anything is possible. 

If you're going to do a marathon, self belief is the first step, anything after that is a bonus, training is essential and requires hardcore commitment and dedication. Being happy to run alone is also a big part of training as on the day you run your own race. It is important to listen and tune into your body, don't compare yourself to others, don't compete, don't analyse everyones strava stats.  Accepting and understanding the type of runner you are is key, be your own person and trust the training plan. Be aware you may fall out of love with running at some point as that journey becomes hard work. Have some fun sessions within the plan, meet for coffee and cake after. Don't feel guilty if you miss a run. I had to reset my train of thought and revisit why I had signed up for this. We teach our children to be the best we can be. A marathon affects all family members they see the commitment, drive, hear all the moans, complaints and overall "giving out". Children see their mums and dads' goal setting, achieving lifelong ambitions and working so hard to get there. To me that is a privileged educational journey for our children to experience for us and for them.
What would I do differently?
I could have ran a little faster on the day, truth is I didn't fully kill myself, I left some fuel in the tank to be able to celebrate that evening, to be able to enjoy my Bank Holiday Monday with my family. Yes I walked up hills and when I was feeling tired and yes I stopped and kissed and hugged everyone who came out to support me and thanked them, and while that possibly added some minutes to my chip time . Would I have changed anything...not a single thing...


Comments

  1. You are a super star Caroline xxx never gave up...proud to be a pal

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Valencia Marathon Week 8/12

October 30th - November 5th Monday - 5 miles ez (8k) back up to Bohernabreena reservoir for some more peace and quiet. Tuesday - 9 miles ez (15k) I enjoyed the run but was made aware of a slight niggle to my right calf. This was most likely caused by wearing my vaporfly shoes for last week's long run. For me it confirms these are only to be used for 5 and 10k races going forward. This run brought October to a close and although I've felt pretty meh throughout, the volume of work is there, 224 miles (360k) the total. Wednesday - 10 miles (16k) with 5*1 mile (1.6k) at half marathon effort off a 2 minute jog recovery. First session since Valencia half marathon, ten days ago. There was a little bit of dread leading up to this, my confidence needed a strong session. Wore the Mizuno rebellion pro to help with my calf niggle and they did the job just fine. They've now covered 300 miles (500k) and they still feel nice and bouncy, however they do stink and are becoming quite squeaky

Valencia Marathon Week 3/12

Plan for this week is to increase my mileage from 50 miles (80k) to 54 miles (86k). I'll do this by reducing the weekly intensity, dropping Friday's session in favour of 100 meter strides sprinkled throughout. Monday 9 miles (14.5K) easy, glorious weather to start the week. Tuesday 9 miles (14.5k) easy, listening to the Inside Running Podcast, highly recommend. Three Australian marathon runners of sub 2:20 standard, they discuss their training, running news, answer some listeners questions and plenty more. Wednesday 7 miles (11k), back to Marlay Park for my 5 miles (8k) at 160 heart rate. No such issues getting my heart rate into the correct zone. Only my third week doing this session and it felt very controlled and comfortable, covering the route in 36:17. I've mentioned previously that the goal of this workout is parallel lines between heart rate and power/pace. I use power rather than pace due to the undulating nature of the course. Looking at the picture below and you c

Valencia Marathon - 12 Weeks to go!

Last year's Valencia Marathon resulted in a small personal best. I ran 3 hours 18 minutes and 31 seconds, it was my first time to ever run a negative split (second half faster than the first half) and my eleventh attempt at the distance. I'm definitely a slow learner! It was very satisfying and not once did I experience any weak spots throughout the 42k. Needless to say, I was thrilled, however I left this wonderful city thinking, what if.... What if this wasn't my third marathon in eight weeks, what if I concentrated on a good diet (eat more), what if I did some strength/core work? So here we are, twelve weeks out and my motivation is sky high. I want to run another personal best, feel strong and have a smile crossing the finish line, it doesn't sound like much, but to an experienced runner, we know what's involved! Time, commitment, patience, effort, recovery, support, to name a few. I've made some rough sketches that are starting to form a plan. Some of which