Skip to main content

Valencia Marathon Week 8/12

October 30th - November 5th

Monday - 5 miles ez (8k) back up to Bohernabreena reservoir for some more peace and quiet.


Tuesday - 9 miles ez (15k) I enjoyed the run but was made aware of a slight niggle to my right calf. This was most likely caused by wearing my vaporfly shoes for last week's long run. For me it confirms these are only to be used for 5 and 10k races going forward.

This run brought October to a close and although I've felt pretty meh throughout, the volume of work is there, 224 miles (360k) the total.

Wednesday - 10 miles (16k) with 5*1 mile (1.6k) at half marathon effort off a 2 minute jog recovery. First session since Valencia half marathon, ten days ago. There was a little bit of dread leading up to this, my confidence needed a strong session.


Wore the Mizuno rebellion pro to help with my calf niggle and they did the job just fine. They've now covered 300 miles (500k) and they still feel nice and bouncy, however they do stink and are becoming quite squeaky.
Very happy with the workout, mile paces fell in the 7'00 -7'10 (4'21-4'27 km pace) region and for the correct heart rate effort.

Thursday - 9 miles mostly ez (15k) with RCSI group. This included 8*100 meter strides, concentrating on form, the recovery was a walk in between efforts.

Friday - 6 miles (10k) recovery effort. Early start and felt very sluggish in the beginning, pace was gentle, I didn't mind and I started to come alive in the second half.

Saturday - Planned for 20 miles (32k). Warm up was to be 13 miles (21k) then into 5 miles (8k) at marathon effort, finishing with a 2 mile (3k) cool down.

What actually happened was a disaster. It lashed rain from the start and for the first 7 miles (11k) I debated bailing and going again on Sunday. On mile 8 I finally started to get into the run, maybe the benefits of my first gel, when all of a sudden I let out an audible and painful yelp. I had ran over something hard and sharp, no idea what, but it was long enough to pierce through 30 millimeters of foam, two pairs of socks and cut deep into the middle of my big toe. I initially didn't know the extent of the damage and I ran on. I actually thought I was being soft and looking for an excuse to call it a day. The internal dialogue ended with a "quit or shut the f**k up".

I then ran through a flooded path and soaked my socks, one of which I thought had curled up, so I stopped to fix it, about 15 minutes after the spiking...


My Mum had to come and collect me. It continued to bleed for the next 45-60 minutes, and then we thought it best to go to A&E.
I ended up getting a stitch and tetanus shot and have to go back on Tuesday to make sure it's not infected.


Right now I haven't a clue what this means for the marathon, I can't get a shoe on or bend the toe and it hurts to walk. This Marathon is doing way more than just testing my endurance. Totally deflated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valencia Marathon - Week 2/12

Feels like the weeks are flying by, maybe a sign I'm in the zone and enjoying myself. Week two was almost an exact replica of the first. The only changes were an extra rep on Friday and a slightly faster long run on Saturday.  Before I go into last week's training in detail, I just want to mention my nutritional changes, they're quite simple really, eat more! For me this is extra bowls of cereal and also toast and jam. My energy levels appear infinite, and as a result I'm looking forward to every run. Monday 8 miles (13K) easy, weather was perfect for running and energy levels were high. Tuesday 8 miles (13k) easy, humid and windy, my least favourite conditions. I also got a reminder from my left quad to foam roll. Wednesday 7 miles (11k), up to Marlay Park for my first session of the week, which included 5 miles (8k) at 160 heart rate. For this run to happen I have to be out the door by 6:30am. I love these early morning starts but it does take the body time to wake up...

My Top 12 Running Books

12. "Running with the Buffaloes" by Chris Lear An honest account of renowned coach Mark Wetmore and his winning cross country team.  Coaching philosophy, hard work, personal insights and tragedy all told with a delicate touch, definitely due a reread. 11. "The Art of Running Faster" by Julian Goater & Don Melvin The book is an account of Julian's own running career and almost a case of 'what if?'  He tries to impart wisdom to the reader, all the things he's learnt through experience and reflection with regards to training, technique etc. Things he wished he had applied during his time as a competitive runner. 10. "Can't hurt me" by David Goggins The language in this book is not for the sensitive. This is not your typical running book! For one thing he runs ultras. There's so much more to this former navy seal than meets the eye. I may not agree with some of what he says but his tenacity and mental toughness is to be both admired...