Skip to main content

Valencia Marathon Week 6/12

Half Marathon week - so looking forward to seeing where the fitness is!


Monday - 10 miles ez (16k) very enjoyable run and in my strava notes I have one word "Apricity" the warmth of the sun on your face on a cold day.

Tuesday - 10 miles (16k) with 1x2 mile (3.2k) and 2x1 mile (1.6k) at 160 heart rate. I didn't want to go too crazy with a session, giving the upcoming race, so shortened the Tempo efforts. We have a bug in the house and I felt slightly off but could have been in my head. Felt a little harder than it should but paces still good.

Wednesday - Rest day and it felt strange not to run, fighting the temptation all day.

Thursday - 6 miles (10k). Wore my race day shoes, Adidas adizero pro 2. Wanted to put some snap in the legs, Fartlek to start, then a little bit of tempo before finishing with 2x25 second strides. 

Friday - 5 miles (8k) at recovery effort, up early for this, travel day. Heart rate was quite low.

Saturday - 5 miles (8k) with 4x20 second strides at the end along Turia Park. What an incredible attraction. Bursting with life, runners, skateboarders, cyclists, dancers, people hanging from trees with ribbons and so much more.
On my run I came across Yomif Kejelcha and Tadesse Worku, Tadesse seems to have something in his eye. They went onto run 57'41 and 59'33 respectively for the half, just incredible.



Sunday (Race Day) - Conditions were perfect, barely a hint of a breeze, dew point of 6°C and plenty of cloud coverage. However I had a disappointing run. I just wasn't feeling it, had no change of gear and it felt like a struggle from the off. I was moody and irritated by the congested start, it took me till the 5th mile (7k) when I could find a stride and some clear road.
I raced by lap heart rate, it would be the only data field on my watch display, every mile split would be a surprise. I've done this a couple of times now with success but today my pace did not line up with my ambition. I knew there would be no personal best today but at least I could make it a solid effort and there was never any thoughts of quitting. Finishing time was 1:36:23.



The reason for running a half marathon several weeks before the marathon is mainly to try hone in on race pace for marathon day. Although I feel the race was not a true reflection of my current fitness, it has told me that breaking 3 hours 10 minutes is a little out of sight for now. For that reason I'm downgrading my marathon goal to 3 hours 15 minutes, this would still represent a 3 minute personal best if I can pull it off. 
I'm most certainly an optimist but this outing has been a definite chink in my armour. It led to a lot of negative thoughts but thanks to some therapeutic runs with great company, I'm back feeling positive and onwards we march.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valencia Marathon - Week 2/12

Feels like the weeks are flying by, maybe a sign I'm in the zone and enjoying myself. Week two was almost an exact replica of the first. The only changes were an extra rep on Friday and a slightly faster long run on Saturday.  Before I go into last week's training in detail, I just want to mention my nutritional changes, they're quite simple really, eat more! For me this is extra bowls of cereal and also toast and jam. My energy levels appear infinite, and as a result I'm looking forward to every run. Monday 8 miles (13K) easy, weather was perfect for running and energy levels were high. Tuesday 8 miles (13k) easy, humid and windy, my least favourite conditions. I also got a reminder from my left quad to foam roll. Wednesday 7 miles (11k), up to Marlay Park for my first session of the week, which included 5 miles (8k) at 160 heart rate. For this run to happen I have to be out the door by 6:30am. I love these early morning starts but it does take the body time to wake up...

My Top 12 Running Books

12. "Running with the Buffaloes" by Chris Lear An honest account of renowned coach Mark Wetmore and his winning cross country team.  Coaching philosophy, hard work, personal insights and tragedy all told with a delicate touch, definitely due a reread. 11. "The Art of Running Faster" by Julian Goater & Don Melvin The book is an account of Julian's own running career and almost a case of 'what if?'  He tries to impart wisdom to the reader, all the things he's learnt through experience and reflection with regards to training, technique etc. Things he wished he had applied during his time as a competitive runner. 10. "Can't hurt me" by David Goggins The language in this book is not for the sensitive. This is not your typical running book! For one thing he runs ultras. There's so much more to this former navy seal than meets the eye. I may not agree with some of what he says but his tenacity and mental toughness is to be both admired...

Valencia Marathon Week 8/12

October 30th - November 5th Monday - 5 miles ez (8k) back up to Bohernabreena reservoir for some more peace and quiet. Tuesday - 9 miles ez (15k) I enjoyed the run but was made aware of a slight niggle to my right calf. This was most likely caused by wearing my vaporfly shoes for last week's long run. For me it confirms these are only to be used for 5 and 10k races going forward. This run brought October to a close and although I've felt pretty meh throughout, the volume of work is there, 224 miles (360k) the total. Wednesday - 10 miles (16k) with 5*1 mile (1.6k) at half marathon effort off a 2 minute jog recovery. First session since Valencia half marathon, ten days ago. There was a little bit of dread leading up to this, my confidence needed a strong session. Wore the Mizuno rebellion pro to help with my calf niggle and they did the job just fine. They've now covered 300 miles (500k) and they still feel nice and bouncy, however they do stink and are becoming quite squeaky...