Skip to main content

Valencia Marathon Week 3/12

Plan for this week is to increase my mileage from 50 miles (80k) to 54 miles (86k). I'll do this by reducing the weekly intensity, dropping Friday's session in favour of 100 meter strides sprinkled throughout.

Monday
9 miles (14.5K) easy, glorious weather to start the week.



Tuesday
9 miles (14.5k) easy, listening to the Inside Running Podcast, highly recommend. Three Australian marathon runners of sub 2:20 standard, they discuss their training, running news, answer some listeners questions and plenty more.

Wednesday
7 miles (11k), back to Marlay Park for my 5 miles (8k) at 160 heart rate. No such issues getting my heart rate into the correct zone. Only my third week doing this session and it felt very controlled and comfortable, covering the route in 36:17.
I've mentioned previously that the goal of this workout is parallel lines between heart rate and power/pace. I use power rather than pace due to the undulating nature of the course. Looking at the picture below and you can see the power reading between splits two and six are very closely matched. Previous weeks there was a drop off in the last two miles (3k). The success of this session means I can add an extra mile (1.6k) to next week's load.


Thursday 
5.5 miles (9k) easy with RCSI. I had 6x400 meters planned for them at their 5k race pace off a 60 second standing recovery. This coincided with my marathon pace. Thoroughly enjoyed stretching my legs but I was also aware that we were doing this on hard concrete, the long straight on the south side of St Stephen's Green Park.

Friday
6 miles (10k) my body was so tired and achy (perhaps the hard concrete). I immediately went to recovery effort and dropped all notions of the planned strides. The upcoming long run being my main priority.

Saturday
17 miles (27k) Unlike the previous week, I was not looking forward to this. My tummy was a little bit off from the day before. I decided to run a local 5 mile (8k) loop first, just incase I needed to abandon the run. Thankfully once I got going, everything was fine. I headed up to Bohernabreena Reservoir, long drag uphill that clashed with the first gear shift in pace, could not wait for the turnaround.


At the turnaround it was time for the next jump in pace and I was surprised to see a couple of sub 7 minute miles appear (4'20 Km pace). They didn't feel particularly taxing aerobically, however not all was well with my hamstrings. I think all the changes in pace combined with lots of up and downhills had them a little disorientated. Solid run all the same!

Overall quite pleased with the first three weeks from a running point of view. Nutritionally comme ci comme ca, I'm certainly fueling a lot better but my sweet tooth has been getting the better of me. And finally a grade F for strength and conditioning, I've been promising myself every Monday that I need to start, I've yet to do so, complaining of "No time", but I think we'll all agree "No time" just means I don't want to! Maybe next Monday?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valencia Marathon - Week 2/12

Feels like the weeks are flying by, maybe a sign I'm in the zone and enjoying myself. Week two was almost an exact replica of the first. The only changes were an extra rep on Friday and a slightly faster long run on Saturday.  Before I go into last week's training in detail, I just want to mention my nutritional changes, they're quite simple really, eat more! For me this is extra bowls of cereal and also toast and jam. My energy levels appear infinite, and as a result I'm looking forward to every run. Monday 8 miles (13K) easy, weather was perfect for running and energy levels were high. Tuesday 8 miles (13k) easy, humid and windy, my least favourite conditions. I also got a reminder from my left quad to foam roll. Wednesday 7 miles (11k), up to Marlay Park for my first session of the week, which included 5 miles (8k) at 160 heart rate. For this run to happen I have to be out the door by 6:30am. I love these early morning starts but it does take the body time to wake up...

My Top 12 Running Books

12. "Running with the Buffaloes" by Chris Lear An honest account of renowned coach Mark Wetmore and his winning cross country team.  Coaching philosophy, hard work, personal insights and tragedy all told with a delicate touch, definitely due a reread. 11. "The Art of Running Faster" by Julian Goater & Don Melvin The book is an account of Julian's own running career and almost a case of 'what if?'  He tries to impart wisdom to the reader, all the things he's learnt through experience and reflection with regards to training, technique etc. Things he wished he had applied during his time as a competitive runner. 10. "Can't hurt me" by David Goggins The language in this book is not for the sensitive. This is not your typical running book! For one thing he runs ultras. There's so much more to this former navy seal than meets the eye. I may not agree with some of what he says but his tenacity and mental toughness is to be both admired...

Valencia Marathon Week 8/12

October 30th - November 5th Monday - 5 miles ez (8k) back up to Bohernabreena reservoir for some more peace and quiet. Tuesday - 9 miles ez (15k) I enjoyed the run but was made aware of a slight niggle to my right calf. This was most likely caused by wearing my vaporfly shoes for last week's long run. For me it confirms these are only to be used for 5 and 10k races going forward. This run brought October to a close and although I've felt pretty meh throughout, the volume of work is there, 224 miles (360k) the total. Wednesday - 10 miles (16k) with 5*1 mile (1.6k) at half marathon effort off a 2 minute jog recovery. First session since Valencia half marathon, ten days ago. There was a little bit of dread leading up to this, my confidence needed a strong session. Wore the Mizuno rebellion pro to help with my calf niggle and they did the job just fine. They've now covered 300 miles (500k) and they still feel nice and bouncy, however they do stink and are becoming quite squeaky...